Saturday, February 19, 2011

What's on Netflix:

Just a note to say that we girls have been enjoying Anna's new laptop :) She can get Netflix streaming on it. (Alas, because my laptop, upon which I'm typing at this moment, is so old, it doesn't stream.) And we've been enjoying so many classics lately!

We watched 2 DVDs of Lark Rise to Candleford, from the novel by Flora Thompson. It came in the mail though. I adore that book and read it every few years, after enough time has elapsed for me to forget it a bit. We have 2 more DVDs of it that just arrived today!

Last night and today, we watched all of Wives and Daughters, from the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell. I'd seen this at least twice before, but it was new to Anna, who really enjoyed it. We really, really enjoy seeing these British actors over and over again in various movies and different roles. It occasionally takes us a minute to figure out where we've seen them before.

Arriving next in the mail will be Cranford, Mrs. Gaskell's best novel, and one of my very favorites. I haven't seen this recent hit by PBS, and I'm eager to enjoy it, after we finish Lark Rise.

The last one by Mrs. Gaskell is North and South, which none of us have seen, and it's also on live-streaming, so Anna and I can enjoy it whenever we like.  What a pleasure! She enjoys these as much as I do, and I think that after she's seen all the Gaskell and Austen she can assimilate in her teen years, she will be well-prepared to jilt a young man handily, lure and refuse proposals, understand the ins and outs of 19th century English inheritance law, and marry only for love. How's that for a summary.  Oh yes, and ride side-saddle :)

4 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

ALL of these are my favorites, although I have never "watched" Larkrise to Candleford. I did read it and loved it.

You're going to love North and South. These BBC flicks are just so good.

jody

sarah funke donovan said...

Thanks for these recommendations! I'm putting Lark Rise in our queue immediately. I *love* British period drama/adaptations. Have you seen Downton Abbey (also available for streaming)?

I've watched and re-watched all the Gaskells. Not as biting as Austen, but I find them to be very humorous.

sarah funke donovan said...

Also, did you know you could watch Masterpiece Classic online??

mdiber said...

I love both Wives and Daughters and Cranford. Never read them. somehow after watching them I don't think I can picture them any other way! And I'm a pretty big Judy Dench fan. Saw a biography of her in Borders the other night!