Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Black Gum Tree

Each year, my mother and I watch this black gum tree in the back yard. It often turns a flaming red. This weekend is the "peak" for autumn color in the NC mountains. But the black gum tree is saying, "Not yet!" Other trees have turned yellow or orange, and their leaves have been swept to the ground by wind.  The black gum is just beginning. See the dusting of red on its edges?
That first picture was taken on Thursday, I think. Not much change had happened, two days later when I took the one below. The red on the bottom seems to be more vibrant.
I'm hoping to post pics of the black gum as it goes through its transformation this fall. Let's hope for some amazing color!

1 comment:

Pom Pom said...

I'm sure it will be glorious!
We have a maple two yards over that is shouting yellow to the neighborhood! It's astonishing!