Friday, October 28, 2011

Blogasbord Lineup

If I don't shut down my ancient Apple laptop soon, it's gonna crash. I have so many tabs open along the top of my Firefox, I'm losing track. So here are some of the tabs I'm ruminating on. No impressive news, I'm sorry to say ....

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole -- This recipe is from Jo Lynne at "Musings of a Housewife." I haven't made it yet, but I like the the look of this recipe because it goes past the boring standard mushy chicken casserole, with the addition of salsa and black beans. I love how Jo Lynne was looking for something that didn't use (as she called it) "Cream of Chemical Soup."  Bwahaha! So true!

London Fire, #1 -- This link takes you to Samuel Pepys's September, 1666 entries. If you never, ever read any more Pepys than the first five days of September in that year, please just read this. His first-hand account of this major historical event/tragedy is so good.

The Intruder -- I don't know who Alan Huffman is. My mother-in-law linked to this cool story of his, on Facebook. He lives in an old house in rural Mississippi, and she probably knows him. I loved his writing here, and I'm looking forward to reading more of it. "The Intruder" is a great impression of how Real Southerners feel about the fringe people among us, the oddballs, the ones whose elevators don't even leave the basement.

London Fire, #2 -- This is a cool facsimile of the article in the London Times about the Great Fire of 1666. Julia is studying the fire, and is reading all this stuff, and she prefers Pepys, as do I. But the look of the yellowed newspaper is pretty cool. I love how the subtitle under the paper's name is "Published by Authority." Whose? The King's? The Authority of Truth? Of a dispassionate observer? I wonder if modern papers would dare to put "Published by Authority" on their front pages?

A Shawl Pattern -- I'm back over at Garn Studios, looking for shawl patterns to knit or crochet for Christmas presents. I visited Charlotte's Fibers recently, and some of the shawls there are like gossamer; they are mostly air. Not designed for warmth or the morning visit to the chicken shed, these shawls are elegant, a covering of lace over whatever garment the woman is wearing. I want to make a few of those. And since they're mostly air, they should be easy, right? Knitting air must be simple.

London Fire, #3 -- This is just an online article I found as a supplement for Julia's reading. Not very long, but the pictures, and the map were helpful. Do you ever find websites that really don't have much content, but the graphics, or the name,  is neat? This one is called "Luminarium."  I like that word.

1 comment:

Pom Pom said...

Thank you! I'll check out the links. I meant to tell you that I read The Country of the Pointed Firs last summer. I loved it. I bought a copy for my mama. Maine holds a very special little spot in my heart now.
Off to check your findings. LOVE!