Sunday, October 9, 2011

In Answer

I just thought you'd like to know what passages God provided for my reading, after my last post on His silence.

Yesterday morning, Psalm 20 was on my schedule for reading. Here are a few tidbits:


"May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble!
May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!
May He send you help from the sanctuary, and support you from Zion!"


"Now I know that the LORD saves His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven."

And today, my reading schedule brought me to Psalm 65 and 66:

"There will be silence before Thee, and praise in Zion, O God; and to Thee the vow will be performed.
O Thou who dost hear prayer, to Thee all men come."


"By awesome deeds Thou dost answer us in righteousness, G God of our salvation."

Psalm 66 is full of praising, but listen to this passage. It's crucial to know where our sufferings come from:

"For Thou has tried us, O God; Thou has refined us as silver is refined. Thou didst bring us into the net; Thou didst lay an oppressive burden upon our loins. Thou didst make men ride over our heads; We went through fire and through water; Yet Thou didst bring us out into a place of abundance."

David pulls no punches. He knows that his sufferings -- even other men's actions against him -- are from God's direction and orchestration. They are for a purpose. They will be measured carefully to him, only what is for his good. They are not arbitrary. This is comforting. If evil men determine my suffering, it may be endless and pointless. If God determines it, I can trust that it will be bearable.

Psalm 66 ends with this:

"Come and hear, all who fear God, and I will tell of what He has done for my soul.
I cried to Him with my mouth, and He was extolled with my tongue.
If I regard wickedness in my heart, the Lord will not hear; 
But certainly God has heard;
He has given heed to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer, nor His lovingkindness from me."

I've found much comfort in these psalms this weekend. Perhaps you will too.

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

"Thou didst make men ride over our heads....Yet Thou didst bring us out into a place of abundance." My, isn't that descriptive of how we can feel...and how God means it to come out in the end. Glory to God for all things!