Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ten Pounds of Beeswax

Adam's bees are hunkered down for the winter, and he won't be taking any more honey or wax from them anytime soon. This leaves me in a lurch when it comes to making bee balm lotion and lip balm. I have no wax! And I don't want to buy commercial wax from Michael's. Adam decided to order ten pounds of organic beeswax so I could continue my production! Yay! It arrived yesterday.
These glorious gold bars weigh about 2 pounds each.
So pretty. But so hard to cut! I ended up putting a whole bar into my double boiler, melting off some of it, removing the solid residual, and doing my recipe.
I made 25 tubs of creamy bee balm lotion today. Ten of them are already promised to a customer. I'm raising the price because of the expense of the beeswax; that stuff isn't cheap!
I prefer the silver tins, but I can't find any more of them at Michael's, so I'm using the floral tins. These tins hold about 1/2 cup each.
15 tins will go to the market on Saturday. I hope they sell like hot cakes!

1 comment:

Pom Pom said...

I hope so, too! I need some! My lips are chapped.