Thursday, May 24, 2012

Shirley's Chocolate Cake

Adam made a fine supper tonight, but afterward it left us all wanting something. I particularly wanted something sweet. So I checked out a recipe that my friend Shirley had given me. She said it's been a family favorite of theirs for 40 years!



Here's the recipe, and a simple one it is:
1 devil's food cake mix package (I only had German chocolate, so I used that.)
1 pkg. of instant chocolate pudding (I only had vanilla cook/serve, so I used that.)
1 pkg. of chocolate chips
1 3/4 cups milk
2 eggs

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a whisk. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
As I said, I was a bit eager. I wanted to ladle out a big spoonful of this cake, plop it into a bowl, apply a dollop of butter cream frosting (which I did make, yes, I did!), and eat it warm. But chocolate cake isn't really any good when it's hot, you know? So Julia got Philip's little fan, and we proceeded to lower the temperature of this cake - haha! What else is a desperate chocolate-loving woman to do?

It was this rich:


I understand why Shirley says this is a favorite. Philip has declared it "too chocolately and too sweet," which means it was perfect for me :) AND ... he won't eat anymore! He prefers a bland bowl of corn flakes.
There will be plenty tomorrow!

No comments: