Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Knitting Party

Oh what fun! On Wednesday mornings, some ladies in my mom's neighborhood gather at one home, and do handwork. Some knit, some crochet, some quilt. Honestly, I think if you just came to drink tea, that would count :)

Hunter is our resident expert. I wish I'd gotten a picture of the sweater she's making, full of cables and thousands of smooth, identical stitches. Here's she's instructing Debra on knitting technique.
While we busied ourselves with our industry, we had noisy neighbors just out the window. Our hostess, Joan, has a feeder (for birds, I believe) that the squirrels fight over. This is a large gray squirrel, hanging upside down in an effort to reach the seed. Later a small red American squirrel arrived. He can fit through the metal grid, and get inside, which angers his gray cousin. They fought, and screeched and chased and generally made a nuisance of themselves! Julia was very entertained.
I hoped to catch my daughter with a pensive expression of concentration on her work. No such luck.
Anna brought her 2nd quilt, a blue and white one. She's doing colored quilting stitches on the back. It's very pretty. And our friend Carolyn was knitting a gray scarf.
I must say, I'm blissfully anticipating months (years? Who knows?) of meeting with these ladies. How fun to knit and crochet together while the snow falls outside the window, or the red and yellow leaves fall. I can't wait. They're such dear, loving friends. Joan sent me home with 2 bags of groceries they won't use because they'll be out of town. That's love with hands and feet. If you want to know what it's like to be cared for and prayed for, live in a retirement community of mature believers.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I'm making Granny squares. Pictures later.

No comments: