Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Peachy Fail

I was excited to try this new breakfast dish from Macheesmo's cooking site: Breakfast Baked Peaches. Nick, over at Macheesmo hailed it as delectable, and it looked very doable in the morning, so I gave it a try.
I'll let you check out the recipe and instructions over on his blog. I love Nick's blog. He cooks lovely things, and I've tried several and enjoyed them. But this oatmeal? Not so much :( I did follow the recipe for two bowls/one peach. Here's how my oatmeal looked after it had set around a bit. (Yes, the peach was sitting there, and I yanked it back out for the photo :)
I did put on more brown sugar than Nick did, because I could just tell from looking at that light sprinkling in his photo, that it would not be enough. But, honest-to-Pete, it was just bland. The oatmeal was boring. The peach was fabulous, and I'd eat a baked peach for breakfast again and again. But the oatmeal needs something ... yummier.
Granted, oatmeal isn't really supposed to be exciting. But other people on Nick's post were raving about his baked oatmeal, and I'm wondering what I did wrong. Or do they just adore boring oatmeal? I don't think I'll make this again, to find out. However -- baked peaches? Yes, I highly recommend them!

No comments: