Thursday, September 22, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan

Adam got busy in the kitchen today while the womenfolk were in town shopping. He's been longing to make eggplant parmesan for years, and today -- he got his chance! And MAN, were they delicious!

He started in the morning by slicing the eggplant (a relatively small one, I thought) into very thin slices, putting them in a colander, salting them lightly, and letting them drop their liquid all morning. He patted them dry later.
They he dipped the eggplant in an egg wash, then in flour, then in the egg wash again, and finally in fine bread crumbs.

Yeah, that's a lot of trouble to go to. I wouldn't do it. Good thing I have a husband who thinks nothing of such efforts!
Then he pan fried them in some oil. Not deep-fried. Just until brown and crispy. (Oh my, were they delectable. We had several as "sneaky snacks.")
This is a fuzzy picture of my plate before I attacked it. He sandwiched two eggplant discs around some mozzarella cheese - yummo! That's why they're in pairs. Crispy on the outside, soft and delicious on the inside.
As for the rest of the plate, you've seen his homemade pasta before:
And this is a simple red sauce, made with whole canned tomatoes:
And his crusty, chewy baguettes:
It was a memorable meal. I don't think we've seen the last of the eggplant in this house!

No comments: