Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Grove Park Inn's Gingerbread House Competition

Today I drove to Asheville with the girls and a friend, to see the Annual Gingerbread House Competition at the Grove Park Inn. The Grove Park is a gorgeous, high-end resort and spa, with many fine restaurants and boutiques. The original structure is old and very beautiful.
I just love the roof line. And while we were walking through the halls in the old section of the building, I noticed something important. That building smells just like Carter Hall, the original structure at Covenant College. I noticed the smell as soon as I walked into the old section, and then it was gone as soon as we moved into the newer wings.

Those of you who are Covenant people, will know immediately the smell to which I refer. It's not a bad smell, it's just a kind of old smell. I thought it was unique to Carter Hall, but no! It's unique to buildings of that era, and perhaps to hotels? Carter Hall used to be "The Castle in the Clouds."

The girls posed in the sleigh in the main lobby.
I took many pictures of gingerbread houses, and I'm sure I'll share them with you over the next few days. But here's the entry that won the adult category. I believe it's the "shoe" from the nursery rhyme of the old lady who had so many children she didn't know what to do. It was excellent.
This was our very favorite. It was among the Top Ten in the adult category. Doesn't that toy box look real? And the dolls? It's all edible, and mostly gingerbread or icing or candy. Truly amazing.
I believe this won the second place. The large ornaments are stunning. They look like glass.
And this is the third place entry. The horse was so finely done here.  Again -- every piece of it is edible.
More gingerbread to come!

No comments: