Friday, February 10, 2012

I'm a Writer!!!

Yes, indeed -- today I published my first ebook, at last. It's been a long time coming. Here's the book cover:
(Yes, for those wondering all these years what my last name might be, there it is. We bloggers try to maintain some degree of privacy, but now that I'm trying to sell books, all that's out the window!)

Here's a link to Smashwords.com, directly to my page where you can purchase the book. It costs $3.99. You download it (or view it right on your computer screen) to read. Smashwords distributes the book, and it is compatible with your Kindle, Ipad, Nook, Sony Reader, or basically any way you want to read it.

Publishing an ebook bypasses the agent, and the long, mind-numbing, tedious discouragement of working with traditional publishing houses. If the book takes off and is popular, they'll be contacting me. Let's hope!

Basically this is a children's book (31 chapters, a long, fun read) about 3 siblings who discover that their house is unique; it can take them to other houses, other worlds. One is beautiful; one is horrific. They're given a rescue mission for other kids who've been trapped in a fearful place for many years. I wrote the book about 8 years ago, for my own kids' enjoyment, and they did enjoy it. Then my nieces and nephews enjoyed it. In the past year, Adam has helped me edit and revise, add and subtract. He's done all the formatting and IT work. The cover photo? I took that myself, yes I did! That's my mother's breakfast table, and a lot of her lovely junk.

If you like the book, please write me a review. That helps others to want to buy it. If you don't like it, please don't tell me! I don't want to know! Haha -- I mean, it's rather like someone telling a mom that her baby is ugly and unacceptable. There's nothing she can do; it's too late to send him back for revisions.

8 comments:

magsmcc said...

I'm going to Kindle it right now! And put it in the bedtime queue for after Wombles and Warhouse- exciting. Well done, you! Doing it instead of thinking about doing it! Well done indeed!

M.K. said...

Oh, thank you so much, Mags! I hope you enjoy it!

Jeannette said...

WOohooo!!!!

I've been waiting for you to start writing books. :-D

LeroyLime said...

So fun, I'll be popping over to download this for my almost 7 year old! Congrats, the cover looks FAB, can't wait to read it! :)

Pom Pom said...

Yippee! I'm so proud of you, MK!

Rebecca Newman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca Newman said...

Mary Kathryn! I can't even imagine how thrilled you must be...I'm so proud of you and hoping with all my heart that your book and Adam's will be the start a well-deserved easier part of your life. Of course I'm buying a copy, but I really wish that Clay could read it - they only have one computer over at their dad's. He would love it!

M.K. said...

Thank you, Rebecca!