Friday, April 22, 2011

Feeling Grounded

Debbie, over at Artful Aspirations, wrote an interesting post about "feeling grounded." You know what this feeling is:  moments when you're internally calm, peaceful, in sync with your world. Life feels "right." You have a certainty of who you are, and what you're doing.
 Debbie made a list of activities that make her feel grounded. For her, it helps as an artist; her art is improved and her spirit made more creative, when she's first grounded.

What helps me feel grounded? Often they're slow, contemplative tasks. And when I neglect doing them, my mind becomes frazzles, harried, unfocused. My list:

1. Staring out the window, watching the trees or listening to the rain (Okay, that's embarrassing, but it's the truth.)
2. Since last fall, when I started doing this, sitting each morning in my "devotional" chair, reading the Bible, beginning my day with that few minutes of quiet.
3. Doing dishes
4. Folding laundry
5. Writing. I think that's why I enjoy blogging.
6. Playing the piano
7. Reading

I'm sorry to say I think I need more of these activities. Because I'm basically a nervous person, and internally high-strung, I need a lot of grounding, focusing activities to keep me on an even keel.

What about you? Make a list of activities that keep you grounded. Do you need to spend more time doing them?

No comments: