Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Girls' Day Out

Yesterday, I was quietly making breakfast in my jammies, when the phone rang. For me! Yesterday was going to be my stay-at-home-and-don't-step-foot-outside-the-house day. But on the phone was my friend Carlene, from church, asking if I wanted to go shopping instead.  Now, friends, I'm not a shopper. I abhor the mall. I don't break out in hives or anything, but I do avoid them if I can. So much walking, and so little to show for it.

But I said yes, and off we went. Here's the list of stores we plowed through:
Ross -- I bought a sale shirt for Peter.
Christian Family Bookstore -- I bought Julia's "big" present, a new Bible with her name on it, and a case for it.
Tar-jay -- We used their restroom.
Old Navy -- They had GREAT sales, but their check-out line stretched to the edge of doom, so we left.
TJ Maxx -- nada
Food Court for lunch -- We shared a Japanese Chicken Teriyaki, which was rather delish.
GNC -- I found no Grapefruit Seed Oil (for making Jody's cream), but Carlene found some leg cramp medicine.
Penney's -- I finally found 2 turtleneck shirts for Peter.  3 shirts.  That's all the boy will have under the tree, and he'll complain about those.  He wants only C*A*S*H.
Dillard -- I later realized that this was our real destination. Carlene headed for the make-up counter like a nectar-laden bee flying toward the hive. She instructed the girls there to "do" our faces.  I've never, ever had the nerve to walk up to those white-coated professionals, with my unadorned face, and demand such a thing.  This is why every girl needs a friend like Carlene, who is fearless.

Carlene, in the hands of a professional:
Me, wondering what in the world I was doing there:
I don't wear makeup, really. A dash of powder, a smear of lipstick, and I'm ready to go. And I'm not gonna change that, thank you. But I must say, I must avow, that it was lovely, calming, and nearly heavenly, to sit there and let a tender-fingered lady who deals with faces every day, cleanse, moisturize and generally gloop up my skin. So relaxing.

The final effect, however, I was not all that thrilled with. A tad scary, although Carlene looks lovely. I did buy some cleanser and a new lipstick.
The first thing I did when I got home was take that cleanser and remove that make-up.
The second thing I did was lie down on the couch and gaze with my exhausted and un-mascaraed eyes, at our tree. Gradually the twinkling lights blurred.
And I dozed off into a nap, listening to harp music that my son brought for me from college.  Isn't he sweet?
It's now 10:14 AM, today. And again I say, I'm not going anywhere!!! But I'm not sure I'll be able to do it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, you do look lovely whether or not you have makeup on! It's the adorning of the meek and quiet spirit (that was drilled into me as a Mennonite!!) that really counts and I, by nature, am not meek or quiet! It's a struggle!

My day at the Mall with Mr. S was good! Penney's was my best bargain!! And the little ornament shop in the middle of the mall where I got personalized ornaments for the little people was also a "hit" for me.

~karen (WI)

LeroyLime said...

oh FUN, gotta love a good glam day! and you look LOVELY!

GretchenJoanna said...

You are a good sport and very adventurous to go on such an outing this week. I'll bet Carlene was glad you were a willing friend!

Rebecca Newman said...

I think you look lovely either way. I'm sorry you don't share my enthusiasm for shopping - although maybe that's a good thing!

M.K. said...

Thanks, friends!! (I have to admit to having a bit of fun, once I actually got there....) Rebecca -- I think shopping would be much more enjoyable than usual, with you along. You, Anna & Julia. Definitely.