Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hey! Where's the Food!?

"I thought this was occasionally a food blog,"  you say. "So, where's the food?"  (Or, as we say around here, "Where's the doof?")

The other day, after the frigid northern winds descended upon us, I decided this would feel good for lunch.  I was right.
I decided last night that this morning called for something yummy for breakfast.  The girls were happy when I made these cinnamon rolls with biscuit dough. I put in extra melted butter and sugar. Just because my girls aren't quite sweet enough yet :)
And this was a bread-baking day. Isn't it pretty? It doesn't matter how often I bake this bread, I always think it's beautiful.
I'm going to a ladies thing at church tonight (technically, the Women's Ministries Christmas Party). We were instructed to bring our favorite Christmas goody.  When I asked my brain what that might be, it answered: "Why, Inez's Christmas Balls, of course!"  Inez is about 95 years old now.  She was my grandmother's neighbor and friend.  I grew up, on my holidays there, almost as much in her kitchen as in my grandmother's. I haven't made these Christmas Balls since I was single -- over 20 years.
Let me see if I can remember the recipe without getting up off my couch.  Hmmm....

1 cup of graham cracker crumbs
1 cup of melted butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
coconut flakes (which I did not have) -- maybe 1/2 cup?
finely chopped nuts (which I did have, I used almonds and pecans) -- maybe 1/2 cup?
1 T. vanilla

Let's hope that's all, because if there are other ingredients, I've forgotten them. You blend all that well, roll it into balls, and either freeze them or chill them very well.  Mine are in the freezer right now.

Then you dip them in chocolate -- a mixture of 1/2 block/bar of paraffin and a 16 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted in a double boiler.  If you pierce the balls with a toothpick, you can dip them easily. Then lay them on waxed paper to set up.
I'm looking forward to tasting something I haven't put against my taste buds in 25 years. And thinking of Inez. She's a sweetie.

So there's some food for you!  Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

Yum. The Christmas Balls would be so good with my coffee just now.

Jody

M.K. said...

I have some left over -- wish I could send you a few! :)